November 21, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving...wishing you all a season of gratitude. A wonderful little book, Arriving at Your Own Door: 108 Lessons of Mindfulness by Jon Kabat-Zinn, happened to land on my desk this week. As I opened to the first page, a poem by Derek Walcott jumped out at me....reminding me once again of the gratitude I feel daily for the gift of life, love and mindfulness. May you arrive at your own door this Thanksgiving. With gratitude, I share with you Derek Walcott's poem:
The time will come
when with elation,
you will greet yourself
arriving
at your own door, in your own mirror,
and each will smile at the other's
welcome.
and say, sit here. Eat.
You will love again the stranger who was your
self.
Give wine. Give bread. Give back
your heart
to itself, to the stranger who has loved
you
all your life, whom you
ignored
for another, who knows you by
heart.
Take down the love letters from the
bookshelf.
the photographs, the desperate
notes,
peel your own image from the
mirror.
Sit. Feast on your life.
Derek Walcott, "Love after Love"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awesomely beautiful poem. thank you